Wednesday, January 7, 2009

First Post


Hi everyone!

As you all know, I am about to head off to Semester at Sea. Internet is limited, and hopefully I am going to be very busy exploring new countries so I wont be able to send out and respond to many emails. I am going to use this blog as both a diary of my trip and a tool to keep in touch with everyone. I will post photos on another website, but I havent figured that out yet. I'm planning to take thousands of photos! (otherwise my dad might disown me) I leave in 10 days. I'm so EXCITED! On January 17th I will be traveling to the Bahamas to begin my trip. My voyage is from January 19th to May 6th. I am traveling to 11 countries:
  • Nassau, Bahamas
  • Cadiz, Spain
  • Casablanca, Morocco
  • Walvis Bay, Namibia
  • Cape Town, South Africa
  • Port Louis, Mauritius
  • Chennai, India
  • Laem Chabang (Bangkok), Thailand
  • Ho Chi Minh City, Viet Nam
  • Hong Kong / Shanghai, China
  • Kobe / Yokohama, Japan
  • Honolulu, Hawaii
  • Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala
    (Antigua, Guatemala City)
  • Transiting of Panama Canal
  • Fort Lauderdale, Florida
The ship I am traveling on is the MS Explorer. It is 590 feet long and 84 feet wide. I will be staying in an Outside double cabin. I dont meet my roommate until the day of embarkation. At 6 a.m. Saturday morning I fly out from San Francisco to Nassau, Bahamas. I will be staying at the Wyndam Nassau Grand Resort on Cable Beach for two nights before embarkation Monday morning. The ship sails at 5 p.m., which should mean a beautiful sunset as we head out into the Atlantic.

It takes 9 days to cross the Atlantic, during which I will be attending orientations and my classes. I am taking Global Studies, Geography of the Oceans, Macroeconomics, and Religion and Politics in Islam. All of the details for my Semester at Sea is at the website:

www.semesteratsea.org

You can see my voyage in the Voyages tab, I will be on the Spring 2009 voyage under Upcoming Voyages.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great trip! Write every day and phone every night! I'm sending you my picture, to impress your fellow travelers. Keep it in a safe place.
    love,
    Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Cara, great blog! I look forward to reading about your adventures as you travel around the world! Bon Voyage!
    Much love, Auntie Kath

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to miss you sooo much but I hope you have a wonderful experience

    ReplyDelete